Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: The Descendants

The Descendants is director Alexander Payne's follow-up to his much lauded 2004 film Sideways. I originally planned to see this film Saturday afternoon, but it was selling out like crazy. Sunday showings were also selling out, so online purchase was the way to go. I was expecting a solid film, as this is currently battling the Artist as frontrunner for the Oscars.

The film follows a middle-aged lawyer, Matt King, following a devastating boating accident that puts his wife Elizabeth into a coma. Matt must now deal with the stress of this event with his two daughters, Scottie and Alexandra. Things suddenly get worse for Matt when Alexandra tells him that Elizabeth had been cheating on him. This just adds to the drama that Matt has to deal with, and leads him on a quest to find the man Elizabeth had been seeing, and confront him. From here, the film has plenty of comedic moments as Matt and his daughters (along with Alexandra's friend Sid) visit family and search for this man.

Clooney is fantastic in this role, possibly the best I've seen him on screen. The screenplay is sharp and witty, while also pulling out some dramatic moments throughout the way. Payne is in his element here. I wasn't a fan of Sideways (couldn't make it through two tries), but this film has definitely made me a fan, and I can't wait to see what he does from here.

Grade: A-

2 comments:

  1. I liked The Descendants but I prefer Sideways. Drive is my favorite of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie. I haven't seen Clooney in this kind of element in a long time. Haven't seen Sideways, always wanted to but just never had. Excited to see it now and kind of compare.

    ReplyDelete